Updated: Feb 23, 2020
I've been on a hunt for a recipe for donuts after buying a donut pan back before Christmas. An Instagrammer I've followed for a while, @bethkellmer, posted a recipe that uses cake mix and I was all in!
1 box cake mix (I used Funfetti)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup water
Frosting of your choice (I used strawberry)
1 piping bag or ziplock bag
2 mixing bowls
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix together your ingredients into one of the mixing bowls. It's alright if the batter is a little lumpy.
3. Heavily grease your donut pan with your non-stick spray.
4. Using a spatula, scrape all your batter into the piping or ziplock bag.
5. Cut the tip off the bag so you can pipe your batter into your donut pan.
6. Fill each donut indentation about 3/4 full.
7. Put your tray into the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
8. Pull your donuts out of the oven and let them cool in the pan completely.
9. Gently loosen your donuts until they come out of the pan easily - you don't want them to crumble!
1. Place a tablespoon or two of your frosting into a shallow bowl.
2. Heat bowl with frosting in microwave for 10 seconds. Be careful not to overheat the frosting. It should come out like thick, melted ice cream. Not bubbling.
3. Stir frosting until smooth and slightly runny. If the frosting is still a little lumpy, heat in microwave for another 5 seconds. Stir again until smooth. You can let it sit for a moment to cool a little if you think it's too hot.
4. Take a donut, and flip top-side down into the melted frosting. Swirl donut to evenly coat the top.
5. Let excess frosting drip from the top. Once dripping slows to a stop, set right-side-up.
6. Add sprinkles to your heart's content!
These donuts were so simple and fun to make, especially for Valentines Day! I forgot how tasty Funfetti cake was! And with the strawberry icing, they tasted almost like a strawberry Poptart.
Now I can't wait to have warm donuts whenever I want!